Healing from Narcissistic abuse occurs when we change old patterns and, when we heal our deeper wounds and maladaptive beliefs (not your fault!) by accessing our subconscious.
Brainspotting allows us easy access to work somatically (with the body) at a deeper level.
Example of a Brainspotting Session:
Where you look affects how you feel. With Brainspotting we use the field of vision to go inside and help process maladapted beliefs and core wounds. A Brain Spot is seen as an eye position that correlates with a physiological capsule that holds traumatic experience in memory form. Your own system accesses the subconscious by paying attention to the body, exploring it to get new info.. We are looking for internal files or “capsules” of time-oriented uncertainty. The trauma we have around uncertainty makes us more controlling to keep us safe. With Brainspotting, we are simply curious and we go into uncertainty to heal.. The brain has a powerful way to “heal itself of its original traumas, given the opportunity”, this is what Brainspotting does.. We want the “thinking brain”, the NEOCORTEX to go OFFLINE and the “body brain”, the SUBCORTEX to engage.
Psychotherapy is only likely to be successful LONGTERM when the SUBCORTEX system ( Allocortex – deeper in limbic system & the Agranular isocortex- the third eye) is accessed and regulated.
- We will set you up with headphones, listening to biolateral beats (nature or music) during your processing
- I will be attuned with you, holding space for you and I may not say very much – acknowledging and asking you to pay attention to your body felt sense when you process the things that come up.
- I will be watching your neurobiology and staying attuned with you through your process.
- All you need to do is observe with curiosity, give yourself time, and see what happens. We don’t want to go INTO the story but rather just be the OBSERVER OF THE STORY, so I will say things like .. “try to just OBSERVE, JUST NOTICE”
- All kinds of things can happen, there is no “right way” to do this, you might go through things you don’t understand (remember we’re accessing the subconscious mind”), if its ever too overwhelming, let me know as I have things I can do to “turn the volume down”, I may ask you if “you’re ok” from time to time and you can let me know
- You simply want to stay curious to the process, let the feelings, thoughts, emotions just come up with no judgement
- I will watch the time and be there with you every step of the way by holding the space for you
- It can be a subtle experience or a profound one
- You may feel the effects up to 3 months from now
- Brainspotting doesn’t happen the way you want to happen, that’s why its just important to honour the process
- We are a team in this process